Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Open Mic for the Men

Last year, while volunteering at the annual Martin Luther King Parade (five hours of my life that I desperately want back but will never get), I met a gentleman. To be honest, he was absolutely not my type: I found him a bit painful to look at. Of course, that mean that he was completely smitten with me. While he tried to get the digits, I ducked and dodged, slid in and out of marching groups, and kept my head buried in the pile of paperwork on my very official, parade issued clipboard in order to look busy.

At the end of the parade, I managed to slip away, sight unseen and into my car. I breathed a loud sigh of relief, as I had escaped the clutches of what had the possibility of being a very uncomfortable conversation.

A month goes by. And then two. And then three. I'd forgotten about the behemoth ogre. I was involved with trying to escape someone else. Life was good.

Until we ended up at the same stop light at the same time.

He looked over at me and I looked at him. Immediately, I knew that we knew each other.I hoped he did not recognize me. He didn't. Life was back to being good.

Well, we kept catching the same stop light on a stretch of highway. By light number three, he'd worked up enough courage to roll his window down and ask for my number. This time, I thought I'd give fate a chance and give him my number. Perhaps he would like my suggestion to wear a paper bag over his head during dinner--you never know.

Over the next few months we had a couple of riveting conversations. He's an electrician, so I was finally able to ask all the questions I've been harboring since elementary school: What really happens if you stick a fork in a working toaster? What should I do if my car is struck by lightening while I'm driving? Why can birds sit on live power lines? He actually turned out to be interesting to talk to. But, that's all we ever did--talk.

This went on for a few weeks, at which time he would remind me of how beautiful I am, but never follow through with an invitation to meet again. A few weeks stretched into months and we ceased talking. But, I kept his number because it's just good practice to always keep an electrician and a plumber in the digital rolodex.

Now, thirteen months after our initial meeting, I get a text message. It reads, "Good morning, beutiful! :)" Aside from the egregious spelling error, the message it self was nice. I reply, "Good morning 2 u 2"

Nothing.

That was last week.

Seriously, what am I supposed to do with that? For the men who read my blog, I need you to answer this question: Why?

Why go through the trouble of talking to a girl, risking extreme embarrassment and confidence-shattering rejection by asking for a number, taking the number, texting and calling the girl, and failing to follow through?


Evelyn Parkside

6 comments:

  1. From what you said about him, he didn't have any chance with you other than getting you number. He could see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1 on K-NA
    You might come off as a bit "intimidating." Not saying that you are, but he might feel slightly inferior in the looks department. I never accuse anyone of being shallow, because I truly believe that physical attraction is IMPORTANT. It is not the only factor, but nonetheless, I like beautiful women and thats that! Now back to you Ms. Parkside, there can be various reasons.... i'll try not to bore you

    1) like I said before, he might be slightly intimidated. He does indeed believe you are beautiful (I am sure u are :-) ) and he probably senses that you want to brown paper bag his face.

    2) He might be trying to take this slow so as not to mess things up. Women never give men enough credit in this department. Act too soon and you are a rapist, act too late and you are a lame. Its a balancing act if you get my drift. When a man REALLY likes a woman (aesthetically in this case), he will aim for perfection. Slow and cautious so as not to mess things up

    3) ..... He is just f****ng around with you? Possibly thursday night lay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. K-NA, that possibly was true at first. But then, I felt really shitty for being that shallow (I really did) so the second time, he had a 100% fair shot. No lie. That's why I gave him my number! See, that's what's frustrating...if I give a guy the legitimate seven digit combination, that means he officially has a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oyeyemi,
    To be fair, I'll say a few things:

    1) I think I'm pretty. No, I really do. I'd give myself a solid 9-9.5 on most days. Occasionally I upgrade to an 11, sometimes I'm around a 7. (This is on my own completely fictitious scale of looks, who know, I might really be a sea urchin)

    2) I've been told that I'm initmidating my entire life. I absolutely hate that. I hate it because a) I work at being open and kind to people and b)I'm not even sure what the heck "intimidating" means. Granted, at this point, I've accepted it as a statement of truth, but that doesn't really help me know what to do with it. It's like giving someone a bike that you pedal backwards with no instructions: it might be useful but until I know how to use it, it'll just get in the way in the garage.

    3) I can appreciate the slow, "I don't wanna mess this up" factor. Check plus on that. A year is a bit long, but...I'll work on my patience.

    4) Sad. Thursday night lays are so cliche. I'd prefer a more creative approach, let's say Sunday at 11:37 am, PST.

    Toodles! I'm off to the donut factory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ask why. I tend to catch myself doing this. One reason I’m not interested in the woman. Secondly just wanted to see if I could get the #, and thirdly I'm bored. Men play games as well.
    Men are not that diffrent from women.

    Men also have the category list.
    1. Potential mate
    2. SEX only
    3. Good lady friend in hopes of meeting her friends and sleeping with them.
    4. Means to and end.
    5. Stringing you along

    Now ask yourself which category you fall in. You only get what you give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Short answer: He's not that into you!!! We know early on how physically attracted we are to someone.

    Long answer: Concur with Samson, #3 is a big one for men.

    I have been guilty of this too. I call it the seize the moment factor. You get the number because your only mildly intersted , mostly because you may never see her again & your under time constraints. So you get the number & have a conversation and realize that your not that interested. Now you have break off conversation without seeming rude because U don't want to burn the bridge, so you taper off the communication.

    Methaphorically speaking: Your a crop, not ready to be harvested by the farmer. Just tendering & watering the soil.

    Since you didn't come off easy, he probably put you in the "not know, maybe later" catergory. This will explain the text last week. He just checked in to make sure he top of mind.

    Happy Hunting, Proper Positioning

    ReplyDelete