Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Poem for my Soul Mate

So, I haven't actually found the ying to my yang yet...the Jay-Z to my Beyonce...the Rick to my Ilsa. But I want to be prepared for my soul mate, whenever he shows up. (I'm hoping it's before my birthday and all the good, gift-giving holidays, but I digress).

Anywho, I've been reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (It's like theoretical physics for dummies...) and this is the piece that was inspired for my future soul mate.

I’ve loved you
Since before time existed--
And I’ve known you before
Stars danced in the twilight
Emitting flickers of light,
Ballerinas absorbing perpetual blackness.
I’ve sat with you
In the still quiet
Before night cloaked the earth--
tranquil quietude.
I’ve dined with you
Feasting on honeycombs and
Vanillabeans. Sugarcanes and
Black cherries. Champagne with
Pearls floating in the bottom
Of our hand-blown glass,
Draped with silver.
I’ve worshipped you
Before the moon knew her own name
And her own power to quell
A raging tide.
I’ve danced with you
Before the sun first opened her eyes
To awaken the East
Warm and golden
Courageous in nothing but her own strength.
I’ve known you
Since before little girls
Lay beneath noonday clouds,
imagining them to be
castles in Heaven. Before they wondered
What it would be like to live
Inside of one,
We were connected.
Before the first tick
Time pronounced,
Grandiose and pompous,
We laughed,
Reveling in our own joy
Just. To. Be.
We were light
Before enlightenment--
Before Genesis
We were one
Eternal motion
Moving to the jazz we created.

Evelyn Parkside

No comments:

Post a Comment