Thursday, February 24, 2011

Argh! What to do Next?

The Nice Guy texted.

After waiting patiently for two week, staring at the phone, trying to will the damn thing to ring using the same mental power I use to bend spoons, a text zipped through the line last weekend.

About midnight, this message was sent through text-space: "Hey Evelyn, r u going to ______?" referencing the place we met a few weeks ago. I got it when I woke up the next morning, and waited the requisite 15 hours to respond. I had to follow The Rules.

The Rules on texting are not perfect, but they clearly state the following:

"In order to seem interested, but not desperate, one must never reply immediately to a text. However, waiting too long will seem aloof and disinterested. Following this simple formula will dictate how long to wait to reply. reply time=(x/24)7. x=days since last communication."

Basic math, people, basic math. The Rules also offer an addendum in subsection b, paragraph 14 on texting:

"Addendum: if the text occurs after 10:00 pm on a Friday or Saturday, add 12 to the final number, to make it seem as if you are out on said night, and not watching Fight Club."

So, I waited 15 hours to respond. "Hey! I didn't make it out last night, I had other plans." (Granted, those other plans involved watching Edward Norton and Brad Pitt beat the crap out of each other, but they were plans nonetheless)

No response.


O...K...

Fast forward five days. Another text appears. "How are you doing?"

I'm starting a list of phrases I hate. "How are you doing" is going to rank right next to, "What do you want to do" and "Do you want to hang out?"

What to do next? Should I engage in this text business or not?

Evelyn Parkside

3 comments:

  1. no. just no. I know you have your new rules or whatever, but no.

    read: http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-girl-talk-ask-me-on-a-damn-date/

    If you are going to respond (he is very attractive)then call. Even Tweedle Dee called...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off I'm loving this blog!

    2nd no do not even entertain this guy. It's obvious he's really not trying to go on a proper date with you. I would suggest moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 weeks is 2 long for initial contact and add the timing "10pm" for a 1st correspondence after initial meeting, sends the message that you're catergorized as booty call.

    Happy Hunting Males, Proper Positioning Females

    ReplyDelete